Sunday, August 12, 2012

Trapt: August 11, 2012

Arcadia, Wisconsin. Not to be mistaken with Arcadia, the ship from Resident Evil. It was this small city that held my next show. A free concert, but still a concert nonetheless.

Trapt, a rock group from Los Angeles, known for singles such as "Headstrong", "Echo", and "Made of Glass", was headlining a series of free concerts at Ashley for the Arts in Arcadia. Upon arriving, I noticed that there was currently a country act on stage, so I meandered down by the stage, and lingered by a pole until he was finished. While hanging out there, I met a guy named Caleb, made conversation with him, and talked a bit about our excitement for Trapt to take the stage. As the minutes passed, the country act finally finished, but not to allow Trapt to take the stage. Instead, Arcadia's marching band took the stage, then there was a fire performance act, then fireworks, and finally Trapt took to the stage.

I had never seen Trapt before, so I was psyched to finally see them grace the stage. Their opening song (Who's Going Home With You Tonight?), kicked off the show perfectly. With just enough intensity to captivate the crowd, but not too much where it would intimidate everyone. By the end of the song, they had the mood set. They were here to rock, and they were going to do it whether you liked it or not. Robb had a big grin on his face, and Chris had more than enough energy to go for hours, it was a perfect combination.



Continuing on with their set, they kept the enthusiasm and the fire going. Song by song, the crowd was moving. Whether it be headbanging, stagediving, or any other rock show crowd activities, the crowd was doing it. I was a bit surprised at this. Not because Trapt is a band that doesn't have that type of crowd, because I know they are. I had been surprised because what I have typically seen with free shows, is a crowd standing around, and that's literally it. Even with free shows, Trapt was getting the audience they deserved. I mean, a rock show isn't truly a rock show without stage dives, and big security guys trying to stop it from happening.



As the show winded to a close, the enthusiasm did not. There was one final song, and we all knew what it was. If you owned a radio at all in 2002/2003, you knew the song. The familiar guitar started up, and "Headstrong" was on. Immediately the crowd let out yells and shouts, making sure everyone knew that they recognized this familiar rock anthem.

As most rock concerts do, the end of the show brings the band tossing out guitar picks, and drum sticks. I have only ever gotten a guitar pick, but tonight was different. Out of nowhere, a drumstick comes flying through the air. I managed to catch it, but things never work that simply. Along with two of my hands on there, I had 3-4 other grown men fighting me for it. Our brawl/fight over the drumstick lasted for a good minute, before I emerged victoriously. I held the drumstick over my head, as a sign of victory!



Waiting by the stage, I eventually had a security member drag the drummer over to me, and asked him to sign my drumstick. Then Caleb (my new friend) and I walked over to the tour bus, to see who else we could meet and get some signatures from. I met up with Robb, the guitarist, and got him to sign my drumstick as well. I even exchanged the link for this blog! Let's hope they enjoy my review as much as I enjoyed their show!

All in all, an awesome show, especially considering the only thing I paid for was the gasoline to get there.




No comments:

Post a Comment