Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Five Finger Death Punch: July 20, 2012

Johnny Cash and PBR, Jack Daniels, Nascar. Facebook, Myspace, iPod, Bill Gates...could anything sum up America more? Or better yet, sum up every metal head in America?

It had been about 2 years since I had last seen Five Finger Death Punch live. When I had first seen them, I only knew a few songs, and could never really appreciate them. Instead, I had been surrounded by drunk men, two times my size, lost in the crowd. This time around, I was prepared. Over those two years, I really grew into my love for the band, and finally appreciated the music.

As July 20 came around, it was pouring rain before the shows, I couldn't have been more frustrated. Don't get me wrong, Five Finger Death Punch would be intense regardless. Thankfully, about an hour before we got to the festival (Rockfest in Cadott, WI) the rain ceased, the sun was out, and so were the rockers.



Lawn chairs decorated the field, metalheads roamed aimlessly, beers in hand. The scents of corndogs, fried rice, and porta-potties filled the air. This is how a rock festival is meant to be. Passing the entrance, wristband strapped on, I found my way to the VIP area (thanks to my dad!), and found my seat. I pulled out my camera, testing to see how well my pictures could turn out, and started to explore. I wandered from stand to stand, browsing the goods, reading the menus, and observing the people. As the show grew closer, anticipation rose. I made my way to my seat, and counted down the minutes.

Then, guitars started playing, followed by drums, and soon Ivan Moody graced the stage. Opening with Under and Over It, Five Finger Death Punch immediately captivated the audience (and maybe opening with a single helped). I believe, playing good music, is not nearly enough for a great show. A band (or solo artist for that matter) must truly put on a show, with their vocals AND their bodies. Five Finger Death Punch has that talent to put on an amazing show. From song to song, they kept the energy going, whether it be a an intense headbanging song like "American Capitalist", or a slow, yet equally intense "ballad" like "Remember Everything", they had the show moving the whole time. Not only did they play music, they honored the troops, and even brought the "next generation of rock and roll" on stage during a song. Nothing says Rock and Roll quite like 5 kids on stage, headbanging their little hearts out!



But in my eyes, shows aren't only about music. As an aspiring photographer, I love to shoot shows. Being a VIP, I had a special area where I was allowed to shoot the show, even closer than where general admission got to stand. I spent most of my time, enjoying the show, until it got to the last two songs. I worked my way through the crowed, and joined the line, camera in hand. Walking closer and closer to the stage, the bass nearly shaking my body, I readied my camera, and started shooting. That's the thing with shooting shows, especially with a time limit, you take as many shots that you can, when you have the chance. You never know when your subject can step away from where you wanted them, and you never want to miss a shot. This however, was not the case for me.



I got right up front, during "The Bleeding", and (in my opinion) got some wonderful shots. As the show wrapped up, Zolton Bathory tossed out guitar picks, to the ever grabby hands of the crowd. I, for one, have never managed to be skilled at catching such souvenirs, so I didn't try to catch one...except once. The once, that managed to pay off. Looking down in my hand to examine my new gift, I saw another one lying on the concrete, what luck!






All in all, it was an amazing show, and a wonderful experience. If you ever have the chance to see Five Finger Death Punch, just know that you won't be disappointed. You guaranteed a headbanging, hot, sweaty, kick-ass show, from beginning to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment