Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Devil's Carnival: April 4, 2012

“Lost souls enter The Devil’s Carnival where they are each faced with the sins they committed in life” -IMDB’s Summary of The Devil’s Carnival

About a year ago, I saw Repo! the Genetic Opera, and fell in love. Not just with the movie, but the actors, the directing, and the songs. Then about a month ago, I was looking up Repo related things on tumblr, and discovered The Devil’s Carnival. Intrigued, I researched it. Only to find that all of my favorite actors from Repo were in it, and it was directed by Darren Lynn Bousman and Terrance Zdunich. Knowing only this information, I immediately bought a ticket for the road show. I already knew I would love it, so I purchased the album on iTunes, and made sure to have all the songs memorized by showtime.

-fast forward one month-

Standing in front of a mirror, reapplying my black lipstick, I was ready. Tights covering my pale white legs, a short black dress adorned with skulls and cross bones, leather studded jewlery, striped gloves, and Emilie Autumn’s signature heart drawn onto my cheek, I was a beautiful mess. Tonight was the night I was finally seeing The Devil’s Carnival. Finally meeting Terrance Zdunich, Darren Lynn Bousman, Shawn Crahan, and Emilie Autumn. Basically, the best night of my life. Arriving, only to see a line full of people all dressed like me, I finally felt at home. It took a bit, but I finally opened up and socialized with the fellow freaks. Made some cool friends, but then all that was null and void the second the doors opened. I tried my best not to trample others to get in, and managed to contain a behavior that is still smiled upon by most of the authorities.



Once we were all seated, a small sideshow started up, doing some small tricks like laying on a bed of nails, etc. But then the good stuff really kicked in, the behind the scene extras from Repo! the Genetic Opera. I’ve never felt happier than being surrounded by everyone singing along with all of the songs from the movie. I really just felt like I could love everyone there, just for being so awesome. Then, the costume contest occurred. A 9 year old hobo clown won, and for good reason, he was positively adorable! Finally, the movie came on.

How to sum up the movie, sheer brilliance. It’s all based off of Aesop’s Fables, which I loved anyways, but then seeing Darren and Terrance adapt their own touch and twist to it, was perfection. The colors, the chaos, the acting, was all wonderful. Everyone was so well suited for their roles, and executed (some literally) them brilliantly! I will not spoil the story line for you, but if you are even remotely a fan of Repo, you will love this.



But don’t think that was the end, no no no. We still have a meet and greet to discuss! To finally meet three of the people I love, and admire, was a dream come true. I was debating whether or not to buy a huge theatrical poster for $20, and then while I was waiting in line for the meet and greet, the merch girl said she was going to be selling the posters for only $10. Naturally, I immediately jumped on that. Then I resumed anxiously waiting in line, waiting to meet my idols. Soon, it came my turn. As I walked through the line, passing along my poster, Darren looked up at me and said “Did you want us to sign this?”, instinctively I responded, “No, I want you to stare at it.” The merch girl found great humor in this, and luckily so did Darren and Terrance, since I never meant it harmfully. They passed it on, signing it on there, with my name on it, onto Shawn Crahan. It was blatantly obvious that Shawn had had a bit too much to drink. He started to sign my poster, right over Ivan Moody’s face, saying “I like to sign over his face, because I have the bigger band!” As he passed it on to Emilie, I sat there talking with her about when I saw her live back in February of 2011. She saw my heart drawn on my cheek and pointed to hers and said, “With this, we are united, I love you, thank you for being a beautiful cellmate with me.” I was so excited to meet my female idol, and as I walked behind the table to have my picture taken, Shawn spilled his drink. It missed my poster but was still very very close. I quietly whispered, “Watch out for my poster,” and in his drunken stupor, Shawn grabs my poster and uses it as a paper towel. I stood there in complete disbelief, not knowing how to respond. Terrance immediately noticed, and said, “Don’t worry, we’ll get you a new one and sign it for you again!” After hearing that, my group and I got our picture taken with everyone, and I received my new poster.
To sum it all up, it was one of the best nights of my lives. I made some amazing friends, met some beautiful people, saw a breathtaking film, and learned to really embrace my inner freak. If you have an opportunity to see it, I would highly recommend it. I really hope they will come out with an Episode 2, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment